FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Mark DeGarmo Dance, a leading nonprofit organization with a dance education program deemed “a national model” by The National Endowment for the Arts, was founded in 1987 as Dynamic Forms, Inc. President Barack Obama commended Mark DeGarmo and Mark DeGarmo Dance for “your service to your communities and the nation.” MDD’s mission includes educate NYC communities, especially children; create, perform and disseminate original dances, artistic and scholarly work; and build intercultural community through dance. DeGarmo has created, and
MDD has produced, over 100 dances and multiple international tours and projects involving cultural diplomacy and exchange with multiple countries.
MDD’s evidence-based and scientifically researched education programs benefit under- resourced and disenfranchised BIPOC (Black, Indigenous, People of Color) New York City prekindergarten to grade 5 Title I public school students and communities living under the federal poverty rate. In 2021-22, the organization served 12 public elementary schools with 14 programs for over 1,000 students and 100 teachers with schools’ totals of 6,200 students across 4 NYC boroughs: Bronx, Brooklyn, Manhattan, & Queens.
We seek Administrative & Marketing Associates. The positions provide opportunities to gain professional experience in supporting a leading nonprofit dance organization and its social justice mission. The 15- to 24-hours per week positions occur on-site in the organization’s Lower East Side NYC studio and office at The Clemente Soto Vélez Cultural Center and, occasionally on request, remotely.
- Support the Founder, Executive & Artistic Director’s role.
- Support operations across administrative, archival, artistic, educational, internships, and marketing programs (with in-person, remote & digital components).
- Maintain, access, and develop accurate data records and reporting with multiple functions.
- Communicate effectively with all MDD stakeholders, including board, consultants, donors, interns, media/press, schools, staff, and volunteers.
- Produce marketing materials for all programs, including flyers, social media images, performance programs, press releases, etc., using Canva, inDesign, and/or Photoshop.
- Maintain & develop MDD’s presence on social media, including Constant Contact, Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Vimeo, and WordPress.
- Videotape, edit, & archive videos for artistic, educational, and other programs.
- Run annual Dance for Dance fundraising event (combined live and remote broadcast).
- Highly organized with an acute attention to, and enjoyment of, detail.
- Results-oriented with entrepreneurial energy, understanding, & grounding.
- Clear communication, professionalism, and punctuality.
- Superb written and verbal communication and excellent people skills.
- Mature, experienced, and a resourceful problem solver and self-directed learner.
- Ability to understand and follow directions.
- Ability to adapt focus with shifting schedules and priorities; and to self-direct, as needed.
- Fast and enthusiastic learner & team player with track record of outstanding achievement.
- Ability to lift up to 20 pounds and climb a ladder.
- 3-5 years’ experience in a similar position.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent.
- Detail- and task-oriented and able to complete projects and assignments by given deadlines.
- Skilled multi-tasker who enjoys accomplishing tasks within deadlines.
- Tech savvy with excellent computer PC & Mac skills including experience with MS Office suite (Access, Excel, Word, and PowerPoint), plus Google Drive, Dropbox, Adobe Creative Suite (including inDesign, Premiere Pro, and Media Encoder) and Zoom.
- Ability/desire to learn new technologies as needed, quickly and enthusiastically.
- Prior knowledge of and experience with archival materials, handling, and best practices a plus.
- Interest in and knowledge of arts administration, dance and movement practices, and dance education a plus.
- Masters’ degree a plus.
- Written & spoken Spanish fluency a plus.
$20-$22 hourly W-2 wage commensurate with qualifications & experience. Opportunity to grow the position and hours to full-time based on demonstrated skills & performance evaluations.
Qualified candidates should e-mail cover letter, résumé, and 3 professional references of previous supervisors noting candidate’s relationship to each to: firstname.lastname@example.org
MARK DEGARMO DANCE IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER. All qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, national origin, marital status, religion, gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, personal appearance, family responsibilities, political affiliation, or enrollment in a college, university, technical school, or adult education.
All inquiries are kept confidential. No calls.